A brand-new year is upon us which comes with a new set of goals, priorities, and things to get done in 2018. And if you’re constantly on the go like us, you probably know what it feels like to go so hard that you run out of steam due to lack of self-care and maintaining a healthy balance in life.
In a world filled with so much busyness and high demands, we often get engulfed in the matters of work, family, and taking care of the needs of everyone else except ourselves. Putting ourselves last will result in stress in its self and when you couple this with other environmental factors, the outlook for your face isn’t all that great. Simply put, being stressed out and living an unbalanced life will show up on our face when you least expect it which is probably the last thing you want to happen. That’s why we’re here to remind you of how important it is to take care of yourself in the new year, maintain your Zen, and have clear and balanced skin all year long.
According to a study conducted by the National Institute of Health, the intricate relationship between stress and skin conditions has been documented since ancient times. Recent clinical observations also link psychological stress to the onset or aggravation of multiple skin diseases. The study goes on to prove how stress and lack of balance contribute to the health of your skin at the cellular level. This is due to the connection between your brain and the receptors in the skin that respond negatively to stress. For us, that’s enough to take a step back and make it a goal to stay balanced, happy, and stress free in the new year. Here are a few other lifestyle tips to help you out:
- Water is the key to life. You’ve heard us mention it like a thousand times, but we must keep putting it out there. Water is the best way to keep your body flushed and hydrated, and when you are hydrated you feel good. High stress levels also weaken the adrenal glands which in turn contribute to dehydration, so avoiding the viscous cycle would be as simple as drinking as much of the good stuff as you can on a given day.
- Take regular breathers daily. Getting stressed causes direct responses of inflammation in your skin. Before you experience a breakout as a result, take a few moments throughout your day to refocus, breathe deeply, and find your Zen. We absolutely love the Calm app which helps you do just that.
- Get physical. It’s pretty much common knowledge that working out reduces stress and sweating it out cleanses your skin and pores, but you don’t have to necessarily be a gym rat to stay active throughout the day. If you’re headed out some place and need to park, park as far as way as comfortably possible and walk briskly to your destination. Setting a reminder in your phone to do 20 jumping jacks or run in place for thirty seconds are also great ways to stay active on the go. You can also try doing more active things with friends, such as taking a walk after lunch or doing a physical activity in lieu of sit-down events. Making small choices in your daily lifestyle are the perfect way to keep those endorphins flowing without having a big impact on the demands of your day.
- Meditate and stretch it out. We are probably preaching to the choir here but can’t go without mentioning yoga and meditation. The art of stretching and releasing tension in key parts of the body are the perfect solution for staying focused and in tune with yourself. Even if you can’t get to a class, getting up earlier before the demands of life begin and staying up a little later after the house is quiet will give you the few moments of peace you need to get down on the floor, stretch it out, and clear your busy mind. Stretching and meditation work wonders for the brain, you just need to be consistent in your practice by establishing set “me” times as part of your daily routine.
- Try these products. If skin irritations do happen to creep up in response to stress, our Aloe Cort Calming Cream is the perfect solution for you. Our pH Balance All Skin Toner is also a great step in your daily regimen to help keep your skin balanced and prevent unruly breakouts. If acne triggered by stress is something you struggle with, try any of these products in our line and you are bound to see a difference. Setting an appointment for your skin routine in the morning and at night are just one of the many ways that you can prioritize yourself and remain stress-free, balanced, and beautiful in a busy world.