Five Must-Have In-Home Skincare Essentials
It’s completely normal to feel stir crazy when you’ve been stuck in the house for long periods of time. But the good news is, whether external circumstances land you in pajamas on the couch for days or you’re simply choosing to take a weekend to yourself, alone time makes for the perfect time to focus on self-care.
Let’s be honest, your skincare routine is usually reserved for moments when you can escape from the public eye, shed your makeup, throw on sweatpants, and watch your favorite TV show anyway. That’s why you should capitalize on these moments where you get to slow down, focus on yourself, and put that skincare routine you’ve been perfecting into practice daily (if not twice daily).
Don’t worry, you won’t be alone. At the moment, the beauty and skincare industries are outperforming most other markets. Do you know what that means? PLENTY of tips, tricks, tutorials, and skincare-pros-in-isolation are only an Instagram story away!
So here’s your inspiration for sticking to your skincare routine when you’re stuck in the house and the essentials you need to make it happen.
Five must-have in-home skincare essentials
- An epic face cleanser - one of the most important skincare items for you to stock up on for long stints at home is a facial cleanser that you are in a serious relationship with. If you don’t make time for anything else when you have some self-care time, you should be dedicated to washing your face at least once a day. Depending on your skin type, you should find a face cleanser that is complementary helping you manage your dark marks or combination skin.
- The perfect moisturizer - if you’re cleansing your skin on a regular basis, you need to have a moisturizer you can depend on. After shedding layers of dead skin and removing excess oil, you should treat your face to a reward. The right moisturizer for your skin provides long-lasting hydration to fight the signs of aging, brighten the appearance of your skin, and create a layer of protection."
- Face masks - Now’s the time to indulge in your favorite face masks - and actually wear them for the allotted time. Pull out your laptop, get work done and dwell in the fact that while your skin is being rejuvenated, hydrated, or detoxed, no one’s around to rush the process or criticize you for how “awkward” or “scary” you look!
- Acne treatments - Blemishes and acne can be a sensitive subject. That’s why it’s important to find the time to give acne-prone skin the extra TLC it deserves. Tucked away at home is the perfect time to shed all the layers covering up your skin and let it breathe. Apply your favorite acne treatments, serums, or prescriptions and feel comfortable being in your own space while giving your skin a break.
- Sun protectant - That’s right, even indoors you should still apply an everyday moisturizer with SPF. Chances are if you’re stuck inside on a beautiful day, you’re letting in as much natural light as possible. Well, guess what? The sun’s powerful rays can still harm your skin. So get used to having to protect your skin on a regular basis and an SPF moisturizer will become a part of your normal skincare routine before you know it.
Bonus product (that may just become an essential): Really want to treat yourself while you’re confined to the home base? Try an at-home dermapeel treatment. You may not be able to get an appointment with your esthetician right now, and you probably don’t want to spend the money, so treat yourself to an at-home spa treatment that reaps all the benefits of a professional one.
The recent stress of work (and play), a busy schedule, or lack of sleep may have had a negative impact on your state of mind or left your skin in disarray, but this downtime gives you space to refocus on what matters most - your overall health. And the best part? Taking time to push your skincare routine back to the top of your to-do list improves your chances of re-entering the real world a beautiful butterfly fresh out of your caterpillar cocoon!
Pro-tip: It should go without saying, but your overall health incorporates more than making time for your skincare routine. When you have time to focus on you it’s important that you also exercise, drink water, meditate, and eat healthily. You’ll be surprised how balancing all of these things will not only make you feel better on the inside but look better on the outside, too.
For other information on skincare essentials, tips, and techniques, check out Urban Skin Rx’s Glow-Up Guide often!