The Essential Oils to Incorporate Into Your Skincare Routine
If you’ve been in tune with the skincare community for an extended period of time, you’re no stranger to conversations around the benefits of essential oils. In recent years, essential oils have continued to gain popularity among skincare, mental health and beauty circles.
So, the questions that remain are: should we consider folding oils into our skincare routines? And if so, which ones?
What are essential oils?
Maybe you’ve heard of essential oils but you haven’t taken the time to learn more about them. In a nutshell, they are concentrated liquid plant extracts made from the flowers, leaves, and seeds of plants. The diverse range of oils has been used to treat everything from skincare conditions and stress to chronic fatigue and migraines.
How can essential oils benefit your skin?
Over the past few years, the debate over the benefits of essential oils has exploded and skincare has been at the top of the list. Why? We’re constantly searching for safe and effective products to enhance our skin in a natural way - even if it’s now considered trendy to do so.
For those that have found success, essential oils have been used to: improve dry skin, decrease oil production, calm sensitive skin, enhance pigmentation and reduce the appearance of aging skin.
However, there are many questions and much more research to be conducted before it’s determined whether or not essential oils have a true place in skincare. “Essentially,” the best way to approach the conversation and implementation of oils is through careful research and an open mind.
5 essential oils to consider adding to your skincare routine
The key to discovering the essential oils that work best for your skin starts by asking the right questions:
- What essential oils have been researched the most?
- What type of skincare conditions do you struggle with?
- Does your skincare specialist recommend essential oils?
Once you’ve answered these key questions, you can start testing essential oils according to your unique skincare challenges.
Five of the most popular essential oils that have been at the center of skincare conversations are:
- Lavender - Don’t let the heavenly smell fool you, lavender can serve a greater purpose than helping you relax after a long day. This essential oil is versatile enough to also reduce redness and improve dry skin.
- Frankincense - While this essential oil also smells amazing, frankincense has been referred to as “the fountain of youth.” It has been used to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles restoring youth to aging skin.
- Tea tree oil - A natural microbial, tea tree oil has been used to treat small areas affected by inflammation. If your skin tends to be blemish-prone, tea tree oil may be the organic fix you’ve been searching for.
- Rose oil - Who doesn’t want skin as “pretty as a rose?” Rose oil makes an appearance in a variety of “essential oil best” lists for its hydrating, nourishing and anti-aging properties.
- Peppermint oil - Often used for alleviating headaches, peppermint oil has also been applied as a calming agent in the skincare community. This oil would be best for rashes or chronic itchy skin conditions.
Consult your dermatologist before you adjust your skincare routine
A helpful tip for essential oil newbies: Do your homework. As with any new skincare product, it’s important to make sure you test essential oils before you commit to using them on a daily basis. Everyone’s skin responds differently to new products, especially when you’re talking about concentrated oil extracts. Consider consulting your board-certified dermatologist before incorporating them into your skincare routine.
For other helpful tips on products and skincare techniques, check Urban Skin Rx’s Glow-Up Guide often!